Was taking a break from all those travel posts, I decided to go on intense search around YouTube for Islam-related videos. Lately, discussion regarding the Islamic Sirah has been viral, or at least to my ears. Based on my understanding, an "Usrah" is simply a gathering in which the Muslims would gather and discuss and preach among ourselves about Islamic matters at the same time increase our knowledge and understanding in regards to it. I can not deny the fact that I was born a Muslim, but being a student in an Islamic university once provided me a clearer cut evidence that Islam is truly the way of life.
I remembered there was a time when I took a taxi ride on my way back to my hostel, and I happened to get a (thankfully) friendly Indian driver. In that few minutes ride, he asked a lot of questions about Islam in which I was ashamed to have answered them all without full knowledge, but tried my best to be convincing enough. From his questions, I can tell that he was very much interested to know more about our religion. Oh, he was a Hindu. There was a particular question that intrigued me most, he asked about alcohol-drinking and why is it forbidden for us Muslims.
I'd take a really common Islam preach, which is the forbid of alcohol-drinking. Just by obeying Allah's rule of not drinking alcohol, many positive things can be achieved. First and most obviously, we're being a good servant of Allah. Secondly, we'll feel much healthier, both mind and soul. Third and indirectly, we're gaining peoples' respect towards ourselves and also our religion.
How do we earn people's respect of ourselves and our religion by simply not drinking alcohol?
I know that drinking alcohol is not a good thing. It's indirectly stated as Haraam in the Holy Quran:
The Noble Qur'an - al-Baqarah 2:219
They ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allâh makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought.
One unit leads to another, and eventually, you'll probably consume an overdose of alcohol. An overdose leads to an unbalanced state of mind. You won't be able to think or do anything properly. Then you'd begin doing unnecessary (and probably humiliating) things. As Muslims, my friends and I don't do alcohol. But that does not mean that all Muslims are like us, I know for a fact that there are some of us that drink. I explained what I can, and know for that matter, to the Indian Taxi driver and he seemed pleased and happy to learn a few things about our religion, and personally I was even happier :) I thought it was a privilege having someone from another background asking about us and wanting to know more about our religion.
And that's just only how not-taking up alcohol brings a difference.
6 comments:
And remember that time ada cabbie tanya kita pasal sejarah?hahah man.
I remember some chinese asked about Islam,and I gave her my best.Just that i hope my explaination was thorough and beautiful.
@ mira
There was? Hahah I certainly have forgotten all about that haha. I'm sure you did your best :)
There was!!u sat at the front,sera and I at the back. And the cabbie started asking about zaman apa ntah and he asked 'korg spm sejarah dapat apa?' we were going to festival mall that time.
@ mira
Hahaha he asked our spm grade?! Lol!
I had someone questioning me about poligami and aurah. He's a Hindu, but more likely a modern one la.
It's good that you are relating the reality to what Syariah guide us. Dealing with non Muslim, we can't always bagi jawapan berdasarkan ayat Quran and hadith semata. They may not understand. They may not believe because they are not even believers.
Keep it up Al. Sebarkan Islam mengikut kemampuan kita. :)
@ Aishah
Thanks Aishah. I'll try my best, InsyaAllah :)
Post a Comment