Tuesday, January 22, 2013

London and its convenience.

Surely I hope the notion changes.

Having done my internship in the city means I have to stay in my university for easier commute. And easier commute means buses and trains, sometimes cabs. Although the idea of making new friends does not seem very much alien-like to the fact that I have to wait for the bus everyday with (mostly) the same people, never would I ever thought a foreign guy would come up and talk to me in a manner I would describe as, surprising.

Assalamualaikum sister. What he said, which was not exactly a foreign thing to hear since it is what's most convenient in this islamic university. And then yada yada he introduced himself in a way that I would not in my profound mind put it in a polite manner, but I can see that he was trying his best after hearing a few words I had to say. He is a Postgraduate Engineering student from Pakistan, fair skin, very tall, hazel eye, decent dressing. Anyone interested, lemme know haha. After a few minutes talking, one-sided obviously (I'm not really a friendly person especially not to guys), he mentioned one thing that I am most surprised to hear. Hahaha.

"Sister, I have been noticing you for the past few days. And yesterday you looked really slim, but today you look fat. I think you're getting fatter day by day."

There you go. Surprised yet? Firstly, Where are your manners might I ask my dear university-mate? Secondly, whatever happened to 'can-I-have-your-number' attitude? Thirdly, who in the world are you to question my physical size that I maintained by jogging 5km every morning? Needless to say I certainly did not appreciate that criticism. Or maybe if you put it in a delight way, I would.

And the bus still hasn't shown itself. Sigh. This always reminds me of London and its convenience. Well, actually the whole of United Kingdom. But in terms of bus services, I am more fascinated with London's in particular. They are using a navigation system that notifies the civilians how long the next bus will take to arrive to a particular bus stop and which bus will it be. Cool, don't you think? And if there were any delays, it would be stated as well. MashaAllah, the awesomeness of UK's civilisation and development. Really I hope one day we would go up to that par.
London was a great experience, and I would suggest to just anybody to relive what I had, and maybe a better living. One thing for sure, you can never get lost there (well, if you have the map of course). Unlike the known confusing directions/signboards we have here, you will never have to face that kind of difficulties there. The London tube for one is the easiest way to commute all over town!And, it is said that you can never call yourself a true Londoners until you can stand in the tube whilst reading a book without holding on to anything. Sounds easy? Try that in a sardine-packed, 40miles/hour moving train every stop.
One thing I noticed when I first stepped out of the train station in London coming from Glasgow was, it was almost Malaysia. Noticed when I said 'almost Malaysia'? It's because there were a lot of Malaysians and probably Indonesians and Bruneian, not that you could differentiate us Eurasian-looking people, walk about here and there, going to work, sight seeing, and just living. So yeah, you would feel a little at home haha.Oh, not to mention the Malaysian Embassy cafeteria served the best chicken rendang I have ever tasted! Trust me, I am not exaggerating :)

Unlike Edinburgh, one day alone might be too little for you to spend time with this beautiful city. You certainly don't want to rush here and there and not enjoy the scenery, do you? And of course, Madam Tussauds would take you half day to enjoy every bit of the efforts made in that place. That, that what I was waiting for the whole trip! I finally got to go to Madame Tussauds! I can't even describe how ecstatic I was when I entered that place. The wax figures looked almost real! Most of them were spot on but my darling Robert Downey Jr was horribly made :( I wish they made a better one. Other than seeing the wax figures, we engaged in a few supplementary activities over there. There was this Madame Tussauds "Scream", by which we were taken into a short trip through a haunted house. It was quite terrifying but I managed to not scream; just because I dared myself not to :p 
We also went to experience "Marvel Super Heroes 4D". I personally liked this one cause I've never been to a 4D cinema before and I happen to really like The Avengers. It was cool cause the projections were crispy clear and the effects were surreal. They had bursts of wind gushing by our ears when the superheroes attacked the villains, they had water sprinkling at us when there was indication of water on the screen, there were thumping vibrations at our seats when the gigantic superheroes walk. I swear I'd go and see all of that again if I could! There was also this "Spirit of London" ride where we sat in black cabs which took us on a mini exploration through the history of London. This one was really amazing too. I've never seen anything quite like it. We saw how London looked during the medieval times and how it has evolved tremendously. It was a state of the art experience. Definitely a must see! And there was a picture-taking service when you were on the ride, you can collect (and pay) for the picture and magnet on your way out.

Oh and, noticed the black limousine in the picture collage? That belongs to Barrack Obama. The Barrack Obama!And he was in it! Hehehe. My luckiest day I get to see him live! The first time was when I walked to the Buckigham Palace, he was on his way there to greet the newly weds then. Prince William and Dutchess Kate. So yes, the queen was in the castle when I visited and the flag was raised (if ya know whattamean). And the second time was when the picture was taken, it was at Trafalgar Square. And he waved! :D One thing about Trafalgar Square, they have four (if I'm not mistaken) lions 'guarding' the center tower. It was never told that you could not climb up the lion, nor do they constitute a stairs for your convenience. But everybody does it, so have I. It's a little difficult to climb the thing, especially not with me having five-feet as a height, so no, it's not recommended for you to travel alone.
Stayed in Knightsbridge Street, my apartment was only five minutes away from Harrods, walking! Remember Parent Trap? 'Getting lost in Harrods' was not exactly what I had in mind if you have my kind of wallet haha. That is rich people's place! Or maybe you don't have my kind of wallet, so it suits you :)

A week later was spent in Oxford and Stratford-upon-Avon, the birthplace of the famous William Shakepear. So yes you could imagine what it is they have there. The museum, the birthplace, the house, and loads of gift shops. Oxford on the other hand is a city in a University, not the other way around. Living in Oxford was peaceful compared to the hustle London. And the chill was, as how I would put it, killing. Please wear boots if you wanna survive in Oxford after 5pm. But I liked it there, it's classic and evergreen. There's also a place called Bicester Village which you could probably known here as the Johore Premium Outlet. And yes you could get branded stuff with much cheaper price, no questions asked. Originality preserved :)
I honestly don't remember much about this since it was a year ago, maybe I will write more when I do :) And post more pictures! All in all, it was a pleasure knowing this places and would love to come back for more!
Big Ben from on top of the Eye of London.
Big Ben at night. One of the similarities they have with Paris, the Tour Eiffel.

8 comments:

@isHaH@but@lib said...

About the bus notification thingy, we already have that. But not in every bus stop. Dkt area my office ada. Unfortunately we cannot entirely rely on the waiting time being displayed sbb kdg tak btul.

Anyway, hope blh smpai UK, London in particular some day. Hee

Anonymous said...

The fact that someone else took my role of commenting on your physical size makes me furious! :p

Nik Alya said...

@ @isHaH@but@lib

Oh ye ke? Would love to see it! Hehe. I'll go to your office one day!

Sure, InshaAllah ada rezeki nanti sampai lah tu :) Or maybe we can go together!

Nik Alya said...

@ Elizur Ravin

Like I haven't heard from you enough everyday huh Ravin? Haha

ADEEYA said...

Hi hi Alya. I rarely blogging lately been busy with uni stuff :( how are youu?

Nik Alya said...

@ ADEEYA
Hi Adeeya! I'm good, I'm good. Nice to hear from you again! Keep blogging yea! I'll read!

mira said...

I loled again after reading what the pakistani guy said.dont mind him al.youre thinner than i am!
The telephone booth reminds me of Doctor Who.and my inner geek wants one for my bedroom.haha!

Nik Alya said...

@ mira
Nahh I'm not thin or slim at all Amirah, don't get fooled by em pictures. See me in person and you'll know haha!
Right! I want em booth too! So nice! But I remembered the one in Stratford was a bit smelly. Can't tell if it's beer or pee hahaha.